Thyssenkrupp plans more listings as turnaround benefits seen

ESSEN, Germany, Nov 18 (Reuters) – Thyssenkrupp (TKAG.DE) mapped out plans to break off further parts of its sprawling empire on Thursday, continuing a major overhaul that has put the conglomerate on a more stable financial footing after years of losses and leadership crises.

“We’ve left no stone unturned in our business to improve our performance,” Chief Executive Martina Merz said. “After a good two years of intensive transformation work, we can now say that the turnaround is evident.”

The submarines-to-steel group, which was forced to part ways with its elevator division last year to avert collapse, said it was now preferring to list its hydrogen unit Uhde Chlorine Engineers (UCE) in an initial public offering.

UCE, a 66-34 joint venture of Thyssenkrupp and Italy’s De Nora (IPO-DENR.MI), is the world’s largest supplier of chlor-alkali membrane technologies used to produce hydrogen. Analysts have valued UCE anywhere between 3 billion to 6 billion euros.

Merz said Thyssenkrupp would keep a majority stake in UCE in an IPO, which is planned for the spring, adding a capital markets day for the unit was targeted for January.

Thyssenkrupp is also studying the conditions that are required for a spin-off of its steel division, Europe’s second-largest, a move previously flagged but dependent on government subsidies to shift the focus towards carbon neutral production.

Shares in Thyssenkrupp rose as much as 7.4%.

Corporate break-ups are in vogue amid a growing consensus that companies perform best if they are focused more closely on related business areas, as well as increasing pressure from activist hedge funds pushing them in that direction.

General Electric Co (GE.N), Toshiba Corp (6502.T) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ.N) all last week announced plans to spin off divisions.

More concrete plans for additional listings at Thyssenkrupp come as operating profit is expected to more than double next year, partly boosted by a broader economic recovery for its products, which also include car parts and bearings.

“However, enormous challenges remain, especially due to the semiconductor shortage and the uncertainties arising from the coronavirus pandemic,” Merz said.

Adjusted earnings before interest and tax are expected at 1.5 billion euros to 1.8 billion euros ($1.7-$2 billion) in the 2021/22 fiscal year, up from 796 million euros a year earlier, said the conglomerate. ($1 = 0.8838 euros)Reporting by Christoph Steitz and Tom Kaeckenhoff; Editing by Riham Alkousaa and Keith Weir

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

This article was originally published by Reuters.

Global Business Magazine

Recent Posts

GWI report shows wellness as new baseline for Dubai luxury real estate

Keturah founder says industry needs to work together to catch up with government vision, market…

7 days ago

IMF Staff Concludes Staff Visit to Syria

End-of-Mission press releases include statements of IMF staff teams that convey preliminary findings after a…

7 days ago

Dubai stays on course for record year in property rentals

In real estate sales, Dubai South ranked as best-performing area for fifth successive month Dubai, UAE,…

7 days ago

Dubai’s luxury property market shows depth of investor confidence

Strength of demand goes beyond individual high value deals as developers record 244 off plan…

7 days ago

FIA President H.E. Mohammed Ben Sulayem meets with Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar and Czech President Petr Pavel at Hungarian Grand Prix

Discussions focused on motorsport development, increased participation, road safety and the leadership of FIA Member…

3 weeks ago

FIA AND FOM CONFIRM THAT MALAYSIA WILL JOIN THE 2026 CALENDAR, AS HOST VENUE FOR THE BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Dubai, UAE, 26th July, 2026:  The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) and Formula One Management…

3 weeks ago